And a look at the best magazines for small business on Flipboard
Target audience: Small and midsize businesses, brands, marketing professionals, Web publishers, nonprofits, educators, journalists.
Guest post by Megan Totka
Chief Editor, ChamberofCommerce.com
If you haven’t heard about Flipboard, it may be time to investigate.
The robust aggregate publishing platform has come into its own this year, with millions of people not only curating their own digital magazines but also reading thousands of magazines on niche topics — published by businesses like yours.
How Flipboard became the big kahuna on tablet devices
Founded by the former CEO of telephone-based application company Tellme and a former senior iPhone engineer at Apple, Flipboard is an aggregation service that lets users grab content from anywhere and compile it into visually stunning digital magazines. (If you use Flipboard, you’ll see occasional prompts to create your own magazine.)
Flipboard launched in 2010 with an app that was specific to the iPad. In mid-2012, an Android app was released, along with plans for a Windows phone app. The company recently launched a Web-based Flipboard portal that showcases select magazines.
In addition to user-curated accounts, magazines can also be published through Flipboard using a compatible feed service and shared with other Flipboard users.
What can you do with Flipboard?
The Flipboard Editor lets you rearrange your content.
For a small business, Flipboard can serve as a powerful tool for leveling the playing field with larger competitors. All of the magazines produced by the platform have the same high-quality look and feel — so any content you publish will be sleek and professional.
You can use Flipboard to:
- Publish your content: Flipboard can aggregate social media feeds, blogs, and even website content into its highly visual magazines. The website provides a detailed guide to optimizing your RSS feed for the Flipboard platform, which supports text, images, and multiple audio and video formats.
You can share Flipboard content with your existing customers and subscribers on social media, your website, through your email lists, and more. Once it’s published, you can also apply to be featured in Flipboard’s Content Guide.
- Curate a magazine: Creating a magazine with Flipboard that includes content from prominent sources in your field, alongside your own content, can give you a boost in expert credibility, and net you exposure to potential customers. You can curate a magazine from inside the Flipboard app by tapping the ‘+’ sign that appears on content. You can also grab content online with the Flipboard bookmarklet.
- Tell a story: You can use Flipboard to create a magazine that tells a story about your company, your product, or an upcoming or past event. Aggregate content that contributes to the story you want to tell, such as customer feedback, press mentions, blog posts, or demo videos.
While signed in to your account, use the Flipboard Editor to rearrange your content, set covers, and more.
The best magazines for small business on Flipboard
Small Business Media Weekly
Check out our choices of the Flipboard magazines for the best curated and original content on the Web for small business and entrepreneurs:
- Hitch+ Magazine: News for entrepreneurs and startups
- Small Business Media Weekly: A weekly look at the latest trends to keep your small business in the know
- Creating Loyal Brands: Exploring what it takes to earn loyalty in today’s connected world
- Small Biz Tech: Posts from the Small Biz Go Mobile Blog, plus helpful tips for small business owners and entrepreneurs from around the web
- CapTap Chronicle: Small business advice and success stories
- The Entrepreneur’s Way: A magazine geared for entrepreneurs, but with helpful advice for all small business owners
- Social Media Buzz: All about social media, from news to rumors to new platforms and more
• How Google+ for mobile can enhance your business (Socialmedia.biz)
• Using social media to market your small business (Socialmedia.biz)