Shel Israel and Laura Fitton at NewComm 2009m (photo (cc) by Kenneth Yeung)
I‘ve been a senior fellow with the nonprofit Society for New Communications Research since shortly after it was founded about 6 years ago and always look forward to the NewComm Forum it holds each spring in Northern California and fall in Boston/Cambridge.
SNCR has just announced the lineup for the next NewComm Forum and is offering a discount to readers of Socialmedia.biz. I’ll also be giving an hourlong presentation on New Paths for Journalism. Details:
What: NewComm Forum, the premier conference focused on helping communications professionals to leverage the power of the social web. Founding fellow Shel Holtz calls it the best event of its kind.
When/where: April 20-23, 2010, San Mateo, Calif.
Theme: The Social Web – Redefining Business
Discount code: NCF133 gets you a $100 discount, plus an additional $200 early bird discount if you register by March 12. Register on this page.
My session: Entrepreneurial journalism: Next year’s media model today
Friday, April 23 at 10:15am
Story after story proclaims a crisis in U.S. journalism, as major news organizations appear on the brink of bankruptcy and the public is left wondering who’ll be left to cover the news. J.D. Lasica, a journalist and social media consultant, argues that a solution can be found not in propping up existing news institutions but in making way for a new generation of
entrepreneurial news gatherers who marry the best of journalism with the dynamic, connective abilities of social media.
Other sessions: NewComm will feature 5 keynotes, 5 workshops and 40 sessions in 5 comprehensive conference tracks:
- NewComm Essentials – Everything you need to get started with social media in your organization: from program management and measurement; to best practices for establishing a social media policy and more.
- New Communications & Communities – Learn how to use social media within your internal and external communications programs.
- Social CRM – Discover how social tools can provide insight into customers and prospects and improve your relationships with your customers.
- Markets are Conversations – Move from a traditional approach to business to one that embraces the notion that “markets are conversations.”
- Understanding the New Media Landscape – Discover how media organizations are transforming, and how new media tools are enabling businesses to become their own media entities.
Put on by Redwood Collaborative and co-sponsored by SNCR, NewComm will feature some of the best minds in social marketing and new media. Among the keynoters: Tim Westergren, founder of Pandora; Scott Monty of Ford; author Jackie Huba and Charles J. “Jack” Holt, Senior Strategist for Emerging Media for the U.S. Department of Defense. Other speakers include Shel Holtz, Katie Paine, Shel Israel, Jacob Morgan, Francois Gossieaux, Courtney Barnes, Maggie Fox, Kami Huyse, Paul Gillin, Kellie Parker, Eric Schwartzman, Ray Scippa and Sharon L. Goldmacher. A separate set of pre-conference workshops takes place April 20.
Attend NewComm if you’re a …
NewComm Forum is geared to:
- Communications professionals
- Public Relations
- Employee Communications
- HR professionals
- IT professionals and others.
Whether your organization knows it – or even allows it – thanks to blogs, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Digg, Wikipedia, Flickr, and other social media channels, new voices of employees, partners, competitors, detractors and enthusiasts are resonating loud and clear inside and outside your company’s walls. In some cases they’re even more powerful than your corporate messages or multimillion-dollar campaigns. Are you part of the conversation?
- Discover how to use the social web to become more competitive, insightful, innovative, efficient, and productive.
- Hear from your peers and noted experts and learn techniques you can apply immediately in your organization.
- Work one on one with the speakers, instructors and SNCR Fellows to develop a strategy, and a plan for success.
Register here and enter discount code NCF133 — seating is limited! If you join NewComm Collaborative, you’ll receive an additional $200 discount for Premium members only. Hope to see you there!JD Lasica, founder of Socialmedia.biz, is now co-founder of the cruise discovery engine Cruiseable. See his About page, contact JD or follow him on Twitter or Google Plus.